Our military veterans have given so much to this country. To make it easier for
these special families to qualify for and purchase a home, Veteran Affairs has a
unique loan offer reserved only for retired and active military.
The VA loan offers mortgage options unavailable to the general public.
• No Down Payment – While zero down loans disappeared in the real estate
bubble of the last decade, VA loans allow our military to buy a house
without the stress of trying to save the down payment.
• Easier to Qualify – Most loans require a credit score of 650 or higher.
Qualifying for a VA loan only requires a FICO score of 620.
• No PMI – PMI (private mortgage insurance) is required for any loan where
the loan-to-value falls below 80%.
• Limits on Fees – VA borrowers are protected by strict limits to fees and
closing costs. Lenders financing a VA loan cannot charge more than 1% for
loan costs whereas typical financing can run as high as 2.4–3%.
• Appraisal Assistance – At times homebuyers run into problems when the
appraisal does come back high enough to purchase the home at the
agreed-upon price. When this happens, the VA can help by diligently
reviewing the report and comparable properties and then asking the lender
to adjust the appraisal if it determines that the value is not accurate.
The VA loan is a special loan program offered only to our active and retired
military. These families have sacrificed so much for their country, the VA loan
might be the only way these families can buy a home of their own.